The Firm has had a highly sophisticated tax practice, covering the following areas, among others:
- Income tax planning for closely-held businesses and their owners.
- Entity selection and its tax ramifications.
- Tax advice with regard to structuring mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and private placements.
- Non-qualified deferred compensation plans (including equity flavored plans).
- Tax opinions to clients, accountants, and other attorneys, with regard to transactions and tax return and tax audit positions.
- Tax dispute resolution before the Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities, as well as tax litigation before the Tax Court and other federal and state courts.
Much of the Firm’s work in these areas arise out of referrals from accountants, attorneys and other business professionals from various locations throughout the Midwest and the United States.
Firm Tax Lawyers:
The Firm’s Taxation Practice is led by John S. Elias, a leading Midwest practitioner in this area. The Firm’s Tax litigation practice is also led by John S. Elias and supported by the Firm’s litigators, primarily Janaki Nair, the head of the Firm’s litigation practice, and Cynthia L. Elias, Of Counsel to the Firm.
The Firm has an active Estate Planning Practice, servicing mainly closely-held businesses and their owners. Services include family planning both from a business succession and estate and gift tax perspective involving, among other things, the use of inter-vivos and testamentary trusts, family limited partnerships (LLCs), and other techniques, as well as various post-mortem tax strategies.
Firm Estate Planning Lawyers:
- John S. Elias
- Brian J. Meginnes
- Troy N. Pudik